The Design Experiments plugin is a tool for prototyping designs within the context of WP-Admin. It contains a number of proof of concepts that the WordPress Design Team is exploring.
An important disclaimer: This plugin is called experimental for a reason. It is for testing concepts, and is not intended for use on a production site. These experiments may hide or visually break functionality in the admin area. Some of the experiments may break after a while, and will be removed from the plugin. Do not rely on this plugin for permanent changes to your site.
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/plugin-namedirectory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress
- Use the Settings->Design Experiments screen to activate an experiment.
- What do I do if an experiment appears broken?
These are rough proof of concepts, so some breakage is generally expected. If you’d like to follow up with the team who built the plugin though, you may submit an issue on GitHub.
- I have an idea for an experiment, how do I submit it?
There are instructions for submitting ideas and building your own experiments at the plugin’s GitHub page.
Contributors & Developers
“Design Experiments” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Design Experiments” has been translated into 6 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Design Experiments” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Adds the “ Darker Field Borders and New Buttons (Alternate)” experiment.
- Adds the “ New Colors” experiment.
- Adds the “ Darker Field Borders and New Buttons” experiment.
- Adds the Animated Menu Hovers experiment.
- Initial release. Includes experiments for larger font sizes, Gutenberg-style form fields, an updated header treatment throughout WP-Admin, and a dark mode.